Monday, February 1, 2010

Original and nouveau Gaga

Miss Elton is the original Lady Gaga, so last night's pairing at the Grammys was fated. And as much as I originally wanted to dislike Lady G, I saw a clip from Saturday Night Live where, dressed in her usual nutty sci fi foolishness, she sat down at the piano and, oh my god, she riffs on the keys like Nina Simone and I'm suddenly perked up and paying real attention and...I'm loving her! Elton also spent a lot of time sashaying around making a spectacle of himself but underneath all the cheap exhibtionism was real musical talent, and it's looking like we may be seeing this again with Lady Gaga.

2 comments:

  1. I've never been impressed with Gaga's radio hits--they seem like just so much generic autotuned pop--but when she goes acoustic, she's really awesome. And last night's duet with Elton was truly the highlight of the Grammys.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agreed about the contrast. When she fuh fuhs around being just another hit maker on steroids it's the same old same old, but when she sits down and bangs it up for real she is amazing.

    ReplyDelete